Sunday, June 6, 2010

Software Tools and Online Safety

So our assignment for class this week was to spend some time on the internet searching for software tools we could use in our teaching. At first, I thought this would be a pretty difficult assignment for me, as a history teacher. But, as I began to do some researching, I actually found more than I expected. The software that I am going to do my final project on is from a website that one can use to make online flashcards. I thought that that would be a great software tool to put on my class website to help my students study for exams. I could put people, places, and dates on the online flashcards. Also, I found a website that will make timelines if you enter the correct information. I found a crossword puzzle generator that could be a fun extra credit activity for students. I found exam and quiz builders and a multiple-choice question generator, which could be interesting. A disadvantage to these software tools might be that they might not be formatted the way the teacher wants to. I also found a bunch of different websites that can generate awards/certificates. That might be a little young for high school students, but middle school students would probably like to receive certificates. Another software tool that I found for teachers was an online gradebook. I know the teachers at my high school always had problems with their gradebook system crashing, but if it was online it would be better protected and more reliable.
In class last week we discussed online safety. Our discussion didn't make me want to go home and delete my facebook, but it was very interesting. It's amazing how much information is out there about an individual on the internet. We were shown a website that pulls information from different online sources and makes an information page about individuals. Luckily, there was minimal information about my parents and my husband was not on the site at all, but it was still a little scary. I'm pretty cautious about the information that I put about myself online, and this discussion confirmed to be that I should continue to be careful.

1 comment:

  1. I found a lot of things really similar to you...i think i'm going to use the flash card one too! it's so cool and i want to use it for my classes now...haha.

    ReplyDelete